What are mental skills?
Mental skills are the internal capacity that enables us to regulate thoughts, feelings, and actions.
There are some basic truths about mental skills. Mental skills can:
- Can be assessed/evaluated
- Can be learned/taught
- Can help you move past obstacles
- Can always be improved upon to continuously help elevate your performance
- Are not the same thing as talent, performance, ability
- Are not the same as mental health
- Need to be intentionally developed
Those who been trained in mental skills and performance consulting and have become certified consultants are call Certified Mental Performance Consultants (CMPC). Certified Mental Performance Consultants work with a individuals and teams/groups to improve performance and increase motivation.
Who can mental skills help?
A common misconception is that mental skill training is only to help elite performers. It supports people at every age and across a variety of performance contexts, including, but not limited to, the following:
- Sport (athletes and coaches)
- Tactical (military, firefighters, police)
- Performing Arts (dancers, musicians, theater, singers)
- Business (executives, team leaders, entrepreneurs)
- Medicine (physicians, surgeons, physical and occupational therapists)
How do I get help?
Meeting with a CMPC one-on-one for a first visit is the first step in addressing your needs. Based on this assessment, your consultant can help you decide on the best approach to begin to work on your areas of need. Asking for help is a big step, and we’re here to help. Our consultants are here to answer any questions you may have, and to help you through the process of getting started. To request information or to get started with a counselor, fill out our contact us form and we will be in touch.