What is Sports Psychology?
Sports psychology is the study of how psychology influences performance in a variety of areas such as sport, performing arts, high risk occupations like police, fire fighters, EMTs and the military.
Those who been trained in sports psychology and have become certified consultants are call Certified Mental Performance Consultants (CMPC). Certified Mental Performance Consultants work with a individuals and teams/groups to improve performance and increase motivation.
What does it help?
You may benefit from working with a CMPC if you find yourself saying...
- I don’t perform as well in games/competitions as I do in practices
- My performance in “big” games/competitions is worse than in regular games/competitions
- I have difficulty concentrating or frequently lose focus
- I have difficulty recovering from setbacks
- I’m coming back from an injury and don’t feel confident
- I wish my performances were more consistent
- I have a hard time coping with my high-stress or high-risk occupation
Certified Mental Performance Consultants are specifically trained to help enhance performance in the following ways:
- Reducing performance anxiety
- Improving concentration
- Setting both short- and long-term goals
- Increasing and maintaining motivation
- Building self-confidence
- Improving communication
- Recovering from injury
- Starting and maintaining an exercise program
- Starting and maintaining a healthy lifestyle
How do I get help?
Meeting with a CMPC one-on-one for a first visit is the first step in addressing your needs. Based on this assessment, your consultant can help you decide on the best approach to begin to work on your areas of need. Asking for help is a big step, and we’re here to help. Our consultants are here to answer any questions you may have, and to help you through the process of getting started. To request information or to get started with a counselor, fill out our contact us form and we will be in touch.