The practice of IREST is a complimentary tool in conjunction with behavioral health therapy.
My uncles Frank and Dan served several tours in Vietnam. Uncle Dan was held captive and was tortured during his last tour. Uncle Frank was a chaplain. His ministry led him to serve victims on both sides of the war, mostly children who were orphaned or dying. They came back shells of the men we once knew. They most likely suffered from PTSD. When I found irest and realized what it did for countless veterans, I decided to make it one of the main focuses of my yoga practice. I do this for them, with the hopes that others can feel the relief that my uncles never had the chance to experience.
Dr Richard Miller and irest
Dr Miller is the founder of the irest Institute. IREST stands for integrative restoration and is based on the ancient yogic meditation of yoga nidra. Although both are guided meditations, they are meant to bring total relaxation.
Dr. Miller tailored the practice to make it more appealing and accessible to modern westerners. IREST can be practiced by anyone regardless of whether they are a life time meditator, or they have never tried it.
The Purpose of irest
• To support psychological health, wellbeing, and spiritual well being
• Helps to rediscover how to live a contented life, free of fear and conflict
• Opens the mind and body to its inherent ground of interconnected wholeness with all of life
• To help resolve pain and suffering, experiencing deep healing and peace
• To nurture an engaged community dedicated to health, wellbeing and authentic participation with world
International journal of yoga therapy-n0.21 (2011)
Transforming trauma: a qualitative feasibility study of integrative restoration (irest)yoga nidra on combat related post-traumatic stress disorder
L. Stankovic, ma, ryt
John f Kennedy University, Pleasant Hill, CA
Veterans participating in a 2011 study on combat related PTSD reported a 46% improvement in their ability to cope with rage, anxiety, pain and insomnia after an 8-week study.
The average results are a 30 to 50% improvement in overall quality of life
When practiced irest can
• Decrease stress, anxiety, fear and depression
• Improve sleep and decrease insomnia
• Improve the ability to manage chronic and acute pain
• Bring about healthier interpersonal relations
• Increase energy levels
• Improve sense of control
• Bring more confidence and joy
• Bring about a greater sense of peace and well being